Saturday, June 13, 2015

Review 9: History of Computer Games

Discussion topic: Which game has the most influence on your life or thought process?


The video game that had the greatest influence on my life would probably be Halo 3. I was around 13 years old when it was released, and being a fan of the previous two games I bought it the day it came out. I had no idea that I would be regularly playing that game for the next 3 years. The game had a new feature called "Forge Mode" which allowed players to create their own levels to play with friends. This made the game 100 times more replayable, as you could create completely unique games inside of the engine.

With a large community focused around creating custom content and playing them together, I was easily drawn in. The game allowed me to create a wide variety of various mini-games and share them with thousands of people. I learned a great deal about game design in the process and a greater interest in the process of making video games. While I cannot give all the credit to Halo 3 for inspiring me to make games, it surely had a greater effect on me than any other video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment