Saturday, May 30, 2015

Final Project Proposal


For my Final Project I've decided to create an interactive creative piece. Using the very popular and very powerful software tool Unity, I'll be making a simple game prototype of some sort. My main inspirations are indie games made by a small team yet provide an experience on par with AAA games.

A few of my inspirations:

Braid, a 2D time manipulation puzzle platformer, made by Jonathan Blow.
Plants vs. Zombies, a gardening simulator/tower defense game by PopCap.
Castle Crashers, a 2.5D Smash-em-up RPG by The Behemoth.
Terraria, a 2D sandbox adventure RPG by Re-Logic.

My project could borrow any combination of concepts and mechanics from any of these titles and more.

To make sure my project will be completed in time I'll be limiting myself to a relatively simple format. In this case, 2D is a clear choice. In my experience of developing games, there is often a great deal more work involved than initially expected, so I'll be focusing on creating an individual level or scene, rather than an entire game. This will serve as a polished gameplay prototype with which I can demo to people. If the prototype seems promising, I can continue the project and see where it goes, otherwise I can move on to a new concept. This is typical procedure for many independent game developers.

For other resources, I'll be using websites like Freesound.org for sound effects.

For art, I might choose to make some myself with Photoshop, or gather it from sites like OpenGameArt.org. If I can find free animations I will probably use them, as I've had little experience using them before, and it would likely be a worthwhile learning experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment